Tuesday, October 11, 2011

woman gives birth after running marathon??

I was watching the news last night and on came a story about a woman who ran the Chicago marathon this past weekend - and minutes after crossing the finish line gave birth! This story is amazing overall, but two things really struck me...

1. She ran 26.2 miles while 39 weeks pregnant.

I love to run and actually inquired about this the last time I was at the Dr's office. I saw a visibly pregnant woman (I would say she was 6-7 months?) running in my neighborhood which caused me to ask if running was safe during pregnancy (just asking for future reference...). It is safe, but reducing speed and length of runs is important during the later parts of your pregnant (i.e. exercise is great - but don't overdo it).

2. She finished the marathon in 6 hours and 25 minutes!

For the average runner this might not seem like a feat but since she was 39 week pregnant and carrying the extra weight of pretty much a full grown baby, this seems like she was flying!

I guess her running the marathon helped to start the birth process? Anyhow, this story amazed me so I had to share.

You can read the whole story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment